Search

Thursday, May 16, 2024

Friendship

 


Since the first time I watched serials SEX AND THE CITY twenty years ago , I have been amazed by the friendship of the four main characters: Carrie, Samantha, Miranda and Charlotte. And I was imagining if only I had some good friends with whom I would once in a while 'sacrifice' my me-time to be with them, in the name of 'friendship'.

 

However, then I thought, that was just serials on television.

 

Until I finished reading IS THERE STILL SEX IN THE CITY. And today I read one review about the book, (in this link ) The last paragraph was as follows:

 

In answer to the title question, Bushnell has decamped to the Hamptons, where she relishes planting vegetables, staying in and hula-hooping. These are the bonus years, Bushnell says, an opportunity to reinvigorate and reap the benefits of self-knowledge. Her own Charlotte, Miranda, and Samantha have also moved into the neighborhood, proof of her enduring thesis that friendship is life's greatest love story.

 

In my younger years, when I was still teaching in one university in my hometown, I had some good friends with whom I used to confide in about anything. Until I had to leave that workplace. And I could not make new friends somewhere else.

 

Recently, when seeing Angie, my daughter sometimes go hanging out with some workmates of hers, I remember my time 25 years ago. I seldom went hanging out with my workmates -- at that time I already had Angie while my other (female) workmates were still single. Then after some of them got married, they were busy with their kids. (No 'story' about 'leaving the kids behind' when the time to spend together with the friends came, just like what we can see in serials SEX AND THE CITY.) Nevertheless, perhaps later, Angie will also undergo what I experienced more than 20 years ago: after some people get married, then everybody will be busy with their family.

 

I do wanna know if there is friendship like the one we see in SEX AND THE CITY in Indonesia.

 

MS48 18.32 16/05/2024

 

P. S.:

 

Or perhaps I am just too individual?

 


No comments: